Personal Injury Lawyer Minneapolis MN
Personal Injury FAQs
If you suffered an injury because of another person’s carelessness, you may want to consult with a personal injury lawyer Minneapolis MN respects from Johnston | Martineau, PLLP. Our lawyers have knowledge and experience with personal injury litigation and we are dedicated to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve.
Why Do Personal Injuries Occur?
People suffer personal injuries every day in the United States due to somebody else’s negligence. For example, if a person is driving drunk and hits another driver, the innocent victim could face severe and even life-threatening injuries. These injuries can range from minor bruises to traumatic brain injuries. Whether the personal injury occurred during a car accident or slip and fall accident, an injured victim has the right to file a lawsuit against the person responsible for the injury. An experienced personal injury lawyer in Minneapolis MN may help a personal injury victim through the process.
How Long Does a Person Have to File a Lawsuit?
A personal injury victim only has so much time to file a civil lawsuit against the responsible party. This is called the statute of limitations. In Minnesota, the statute of limitations is generally two years. Once that time has passed, the victim may lose the right to sue for compensation. That’s why it is important to hire a personal injury lawyer Minneapolis MN trusts as soon as possible to help build your case.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer?
It’s possible to file a personal injury lawsuit on your own, but might not be recommended. The process of filing a personal injury claim and negotiating for a fair settlement can be very long and tedious — especially if you’re trying to recover from your injuries. Some of the benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer Minneapolis MN counts on include:
- Objectivity: When you are dealing with a personal injury, you may feel a wide range of emotions that could cloud your judgment. If you work with a Minneapolis personal injury lawyer, he or she may be objective and prevent you from making any rash decisions, such as opting for a quick payout.
- Fair Settlement: Whether your case gets settled in or out of trial, a personal injury lawyer may ensure that your settlement offer is not lower than what you deserve. He or she has the experience and negotiating skills to help you obtain fair compensation for your injuries.
- No Fees If You Don’t Win: A personal injury lawyer Minneapolis MN depends on may likely work on a contingency basis. If you lose your case, you will not owe your lawyer any money.
What Questions Will a Personal Injury Lawyer Ask Me?
A personal injury lawyer Minneapolis MN residents trust is likely to ask questions about the events leading up to the accident or injury, as well as events that occurred the day of the injury. Some questions may include:
- Do you have medical records of your injury? Your personal injury attorney may need to learn about your medical issues associated with the accident, as well as the ramifications of these medical conditions. It is a good idea to bring all of your medical reports, and carefully write out all the details you can remember before your consultation.
- Do you have any evidence from the scene of the accident? Your personal injury lawyer in Minneapolis MN may ask if you have taken photographs that provide details about the accident. You may wish to take photos of any equipment or vehicle involved in an accident, along with the surrounding area.
- Did you talk to any witnesses? You will want to share information with your personal injury lawyer Minneapolis MN relies upon if you talked to any witnesses who were at the scene. It would be a good idea to spend some time and outline in detail your experience of the accident or injury, including any interactions with other individuals involved.
Your Minneapolis personal injury lawyer will be listening for indications of negligence and wrongdoing on the defendant’s part. Likewise, a lawyer representing the defendant will want to disprove any claims of negligence directed at their client, and they might redirect those claims at you. It is very important to recount all the facts of your accident or injury as accurately as possible.
When working with Johnston | Martineau PLLP, you may be asked many more questions to organize the incident and help support your case. The more your personal injury lawyer Minneapolis MN has to offer knows about you and your experience, the better they may serve you and help you to receive fair compensation.
What Is My Claim Worth?
Compensation for accidents and injuries is a complex equation. It’s impossible to determine the exact amount of compensation you deserve without speaking to a personal injury lawyer Minneapolis MN can provide about the details of your case. Financial compensation may account for a variety of factors.
In short, claims are split into economic damages, non-economic damages, and in some cases, punitive damages.
- Economic damages are easy to calculate as they are quantifiable. These may include lost wages, medical costs, and costs of services that you can no longer do on your own.
- Non-economic damages are much more difficult to quantify. There are several methods used to calculate compensation that attempts to place a value on pain and suffering. Insurance companies use software with proprietary formulas that consider a great number of factors. Attorneys typically take the economic damages and apply a multiple based on other similar cases and other judgement factors associated with the severity of pain and suffering.
- Punitive damages are designed as a punishment for the party found liable and as a deterrent for parties to act similarly in the future. When punitive damages are involved, they are often much higher than the compensatory damages awarded. Some states have even begun to institute caps over punitive and noneconomic damages in recent years.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer Minneapolis MN Residents Trust
At Johnston | Martineau PLLP, we sympathize with what you’re going through and want to help you get the settlement you deserve. We offer our clients free initial consultations, so you have nothing to lose by speaking to us about your accident.
For more information about meeting with a trusted personal injury lawyer Minneapolis MN has to offer, contact Johnston | Martineau, PLLP at (651) 269-8463.