Types of Motorcycle Accidents
One of the most serious types of motor vehicle accidents a person can be involved in is a motorcycle crash. The very thing that a motorcycle enthusiast enjoys the most – the feeling of being totally uncovered and part of the landscape – is the very thing that often results in catastrophic injuries for anyone on the bike when it crashes.
There are a variety of situations that can cause a motorcycle accident, but a seasoned accident attorney understands that there are certain causes of crashes that are more common than others, including:
- A vehicle makes a left-hand turn in front of the motorcycle: This is the number one causes of motorcycle accidents, and is responsible for more than 40 percent of crashes that occur. Although this is also a common cause of other types of motor vehicle crashes, because a motorcycle lacks the protection other types of vehicles provide, it is much more dangerous when it happens to a motorcycle.
- A vehicle moves into a motorcycle’s lane: One of the main reasons this type of crash happens is that the motorcycle is in the other vehicle’s blind spot and so the driver thinks the lane is open.
- Head-on crashes: Because of the massive force upon impact, this type of crash is the most deadly, responsible for more than half of all motorcycle accident fatalities each year.
- Rear-end crashes: In other types of vehicles, this is usually considered a fender bender. When it happens to a motorcyclist, it can be a fatal crash.
Motorcycle Accident Claims
When a victim is injured in a motorcycle crash, a motorcycle accident attorney can pursue an injury claim against the driver who was responsible for the crash. Some of the damages that you can sue for include:
- All past and future medical expenses, such as emergency care, hospital bills, doctors’ visits, surgeries, physical therapy, medication, and medical equipment;
- Lost wages from being unable to work because of the injuries. Your attorney can also pursue future income and benefits if the injury has left you unable to do the type of work you did before the crash;
- Pain and suffering your injuries have caused you;
- Emotional anguish;
- Loss of life enjoyment; and
- Loss of companionship.
When You Need a Diligent Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you or a family member has been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact a professional motorcycle accident attorney to find out how they may be able to help. An experienced personal injury lawyer knows just how critical it is for victims to have an attorney aggressively advocating for them in getting the financial compensation they deserve for the losses they have suffered. Contact Charlottesville VA injury lawyers today, and start fighting for your rights now.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from MartinWren, P.C., for their insight into motorcycle accidents.