Bicycle Accident Attorney Minneapolis MN
Bicycle Accident Lawyer Minneapolis MN
As more people move to Minneapolis and adapt to an urban, city environment, many choose to replace their car with a more flexible method of transportation, such as a bicycle. This could be a leading reason as to why there has been an increase in bike accidents. If you have been injured while riding a bike in Minneapolis MN, call a bicycle accident lawyer at Johnston | Martineau, PLLP to find out if you have a legal claim.
When a collision between a bike and a vehicle occurs, the cyclist often experiences serious injuries including:
- Head trauma
- Brain injury
- Spinal injury
- Neck or shoulder injury
- Broken bones
- Severe road rash and lacerations
- Internal bleeding
- Broken ribs
- + More
These injuries can take several months or even years to recover from, and sometimes, the cyclist will never regain full bodily function after the crash. At Johnston | Martineau, PLLP, we have represented many accident victims in the Minneapolis MN area. We understand the entire breadth of laws and rules specific to these cases, and we’re ready to provide experienced and dependable representation.
Compensation for Bicycle Accidents
Under Minneapolis MN laws, cyclists who have been injured because of negligence or wrongdoing may be able to file a legal claim against the responsible party. Compensation may be available for:
- Medical bills
- Future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Property damage
Non-economic damages and punitive damages might also be included in your legal claim. This will be dependent upon your case, the insurance policy, and state laws. If your family member died in a bike accident, our lawyers may help you to file a wrongful death claim. Rest assured, we know how critical this claim may be for you and your loved ones. An experienced bicycle accident lawyer can stand up for your rights, ensure you are not taken advantage of, and maximize your recovery.
Bicycle Accident Laws
It’s likely that your bike accident claim will allege that another party, such as a driver who collided with your bike, was negligent. Examples of negligence include:
- Failing to yield
- Distracted driving
- Changing lanes without warning
To prove negligence in your case, a bicycle accident lawyer will need to prove:
- Duty – The defendant (alleged negligent party) owed a duty to the plaintiff (victim).
- Breach – The defendant failed to adhere to this duty, known as a breach.
- Causation – The breach resulted in injury.
- Damages – The injuries caused legally recognizable damages, such as medical expenses, and have left you worse off than you were before the accident.
It is not always a straightforward process to prove negligence, which is why you should have the guidance of a skilled bike accident lawyer.
Should I hire a bicycle accident lawyer?
This is a question you may want to ask a bicycle accident lawyer Minneapolis MN riders turn to for legal advice. At, our attorneys have helped thousands of injury victims recover damages from those responsible for causing them harm.
We offer a free, no-obligation case review. Call us today to schedule an appointment with attorney Christopher Johnston or Christopher Martineau. With nothing to lose, we encourage you to contact our office.
What You Should Know About Filing a Bicycle Accident Claim or Lawsuit
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, a Minneapolis, MN bike accident attorney would like to talk with you. Johnston | Martineau, PLLP has a breadth of knowledge in bike injury law, and can assist you with your case. We offer an initial consultation at no obligation and accept 99% of cases on contingency. This means there is no fee unless we win.
Johnston | Martineau, PLLP works with a skilled team of investigators, medical experts, and other professionals. Together, we carefully will investigate your case and build a strategy that cannot be refuted. It will be our goal to recover the best possible settlement. From our experience, we know the more prepared we are, the more likely we will be able to successfully settle a case. By this we mean reaching a settlement through negotiations, and before the case goes to trial. Known as a claim rather than a lawsuit, these are less costly to litigation and typically not as time consuming. About 95% of cases will be settled out of court. In the event your case goes to trial, you can count on our bicycle accident attorney in Minneapolis, MN to represent your rights and interests.
What Your Case Needs to Cover
Any claim or lawsuit will need to take an in-depth approach to the accident, and the moments that led up to it. An investigation will almost certainly be required, and inclusive things like:
- Whether you were wearing a helmet or bike protection gear
- The road and weather conditions
- The speed you and the other vehicles were travelling
- The other motorists’ insurance coverage
- + More
We understand the magnitude of a bike accident, as well as the importance of solving every challenge that arises. We know it is pertinent to recover evidence like dash cam or surveillance footage, photographs, witness statements, and medical records. We understand the hardships you are facing and want you to know that we are here to support you during this tough time.
Quite often, the insurance company will attempt to get you to sign away your rights. It is their job to get you to sign papers that basically mean you will accept whatever they offer you. Only later, when you recovered a small amount, will you realize what a mistake you’ve made. This is because you may have no way to know:
- The extent of your treatment needs
- The length of time you’ll be required to take off work
- How you will pay your bills
- + More
For these reasons you should consult with a leading bicycle accident attorney in Minneapolis, MN. Let Johnston | Martineau, PLLP advise you on the next steps to take.
The Advantages of Hiring a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
In bicycle accidents, the negligent party is very often the motorist. Unfortunately, in bicycle versus car collisions, the bicyclist is usually the one who suffers injuries, and they can be quite serious, if not fatal. Hiring an attorney can offer these advantages:
- A Minneapolis bicycle accident lawyer may help protect your rights and offer the greatest likelihood that your claim will be accepted and paid out promptly.
- If you do not have adequate medical insurance to cover your immediate needs, you may not be able to get medical care if your claim is denied or delayed. An experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Minneapolis MN knows how to expedite a claim if the insurance company is dragging its feet.
- If you try to negotiate the settlement on your own, chances are good that you will not receive the maximum amount of compensation that you deserve. With a bicycle accident lawyer Minneapolis MN insurance companies respect at your side, they may be more likely to offer fair compensation. They are also more likely to pay it quickly, rather than end up in court.
- A bicycle accident lawyer who victims rely on to recover their damages will know the various costs associated with your injury that can be included in the claim. For instance, did you know that if the injury you suffered prevents you from working, you can include lost wages as part of your damages? In addition to lost wages and your medical bills from the injury, you may also be entitled to reimbursement for the following costs:
- Physical rehabilitation
- Vocational rehabilitation if you’re unable to continue working in your job
- Permanent disability
A bicycle accident lawyer may help make sure your claim is accepted by preparing a strong case. The attorneys of Johnston | Martineau, PLLP have a network of experts on whom they can call when needed. If your case needs testimony from a medical expert to explain your injuries, they may consult with a doctor who can provide the facts. If your case or lawsuit requires expert testimony of a different sort, they can rely on their network to find the right person.
Learn More About Filing a Bicycle Accident Claim
Bike accident claims can be complex and take a great deal of time and dedication to recover a fair and just amount. Johnston | Martineau, PLLP may be able to help you recover your damages following a bicycle accident. Call us today to make an appointment for a free case review with a bicycle accident lawyer Minneapolis MN riders trust.
“My wife and I have worked with Chris Johnston a few times over the years to handle our injury claims. Very professional team and willing to fight for their clients. One injury even involved a governmental agency with tough red tape and bureaucracy – handled it! Give them a call! Cheers!”