How Victims of Sexual Assault Can Seek Justice
Personal Injury Lawyer
Sexual assault occurs when a person forces another to participate in sexual behaviors against their will. Sexual assault includes unwanted sexual contact, rape and attempted rape. Such crimes can happen through intercourse, sodomy, touching, and molestation. It can happen to anyone, in any scenario regardless of age, economic background, race or gender. The offender may be someone you do not know, friends, work acquaintances, family members and more.
If you or someone you know is the victim of sexual assault, there is help and know that you are not alone. A sexual assault lawyer MD trusts can help you seek justice from the offender for their cruelty.
Statistics & Prevalence
It is estimated that around every 98 seconds a person in the United States becomes the victim of a sexual assault. In today’s culture, sexual assault themes are in the media, television shows and continues to be a topic of awareness in society. One of the first steps to preventing acts of sexual violence is knowing what sexual assault and violence is, and its prevalence.
- Over 17 million women have been a victim of rape beginning in 1998.
- Over 2 million men have been a victim of a rape or attempted rape since 1998.
- Women between the ages of 16 and 19 are 4x more likely to be a victim of sexual assault, rape or attempted rape.
- 3% of men will be the victims of rape at some point in his life.
- More than 60% of trans individuals will suffer a sexual assault at some point in their life.
- 90% of rape victims are female.
- On average, more than 300,000 people will become victims of sexual assault and rape every year in the United States.
- Those with a disability are 2x as likely to be a victim of sexual assault or rape, compared to those without a disability.
- It is estimated that over 80,000 inmates become victims of sexual violent acts every year in the United States.
- 60% of sexual violence instances experienced by inmates are committed by the staff.
- It costs anywhere from $500-1,500 for a rape kit test.
- The age range that people are more likely to be sexually assaulted is 12-34 years old.
Symptoms of Sexual Assault
Sexual assault can cause physical, emotional, mental and financial injuries to the victim. The effects of such unwanted and traumatizing actions can cause the victim to experience any of the following symptoms:
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Sexually Transmitted Disease
- Substance Abuse
- Eating Disorder
- Sleep Disorder
- Suicide Attempts
Sexual assault attorneys takes very seriously sexual assault claims. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us immediately if you believe you were a victim of sexual assault. Schedule a free consult with a compassionate, yet strategic and skilled sexual assault attorney.
Thank you to our friends Cohen & Cohen, P.C. for their insight into sexual assault and justice for victims.