Teen Car Accident Lawyer Minneapolis MN
Having children means chauffeuring them around to various social and recreational activities. Many Minnesota parents look forward to the day when they are old enough to get their driver’s license, providing each greater freedom and flexibility. Before handing off the keys to your car or helping them to get a vehicle of their own, there are important safety issues you need to be aware of. A teen car accident lawyer Minneapolis MN parents trusts knows that teenagers are more likely to get into car accidents than any other age group, and the injuries sustained as the result can be severe. Fortunately, there are a variety of smartphone applications on the market which can help you monitor your child’s driving skill and protect their safety.
Teen Car Accidents
As the parents, it is important to be aware of the very significant dangers teen drivers face when on the road. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of death among those between the ages of 16 and 18.
These drivers are more than three times more likely to be involved in an accident than other age groups, and roughly three teens lose their lives as the result of car accidents and injuries each day. Why are teen car accidents and fatalities so common? The CDC says the following factors increase their risks:
- Lack of experience: Teen drivers often lack the experience and driving skill to respond correctly to sudden changes in the road, weather, and traffic conditions.
- Driver distraction: Teen drivers are more likely to be distracted by cellphones, texting, or posting to online social media sites. Even having several passengers in their vehicle significantly increase teen car accident risks.
- Tendency to speed: Being unaware of the dangers wanting to show off to their friends, teens are more likely to drive over the speed limit than drivers in other age groups. As a result, impacts tend to be more severe.
- Drinking, drug use, and driving: The CDC reports that in as many as 25 percent of all teen driving accidents, alcohol or drug use was a contributing factor.
The CDC says that graduated teen licensing programs help to decrease teen car accident risks. Parents can also take an active role, by monitoring their teen’s driving behavior.
Apps to Protect Teen Drivers
Each car accident lawyer Minneapolis MN clients recommend at our firm knows that parents are always looking for ways to protect their teen drivers. The following smartphone apps can help educate teen drivers while preventing them from engaging in dangerous behaviors:
- Distracted Driving Dangers: This app simulates real-world scenarios and how car accidents often occur.
- DriveSafe.ly: This app reads text messages out loud as they come in, avoiding the need for your teen to pick up and read the messages.
- Life 360: This app allows family members to share their locations with each other, allowing parents to know where their child at any given time.
- Safe Driver: This app monitors their speed and driving location.
- Steer Clear Mobile: This app educates teens while offering tips and incentives for safe driving behaviors.
- Text Arrest: This app disables texting and email functions.
Call Our Office Today
At Johnston | Martineau PLLP, your family’s safety is a top priority. When car accidents and injuries do occur, reach out to our Minneapolis MN teen car accident lawyer right away. We provide the professional legal representation you need, to assist you in getting the compensation you deserve.